From: Cédric Boutillier <boutil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2017-04-25 15:19 GMT+02:00
Subject: Shutting down public FTP services
To: debian-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Debian Project                               https://www.debian.org/
Shutting down public FTP services                       press@xxxxxxxxxx
April 25th, 2017               https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170425

After many years of serving the needs of our users, and some more of
declining usage in favor of better options, all public-facing debian.org
FTP services will be shut down on November 1, 2017. These are:

  * ftp://ftp.debian.org
  * ftp://security.debian.org

This decision is driven by the following considerations:

  * FTP servers have no support for caching or acceleration.
  * Most software implementations have stagnated and are awkward to use
    and configure.
  * Usage of the FTP servers is pretty low as our own installer has not
    offered FTP as a way to access mirrors for over ten years.
  * The protocol is inefficient and requires adding awkward kludges to
    firewalls and load-balancing daemons.

Information for users
---------------------

The DNS names ftp.debian.org and ftp.<CC>.debian.org will remain the
same. The mirrors should just be accessed using HTTP instead:

  * http://ftp.debian.org
  * http://security.debian.org

Information for developers
--------------------------

Our developer services will not be affected. These are the upload queues
for both the main and the security archive:

  * ftp://ftp.upload.debian.org
  * ftp://security-master.debian.org

About Debian

The Debian Project is an association of Free Software developers who
volunteer their time and effort in order to produce the completely free
operating system Debian.

Contact Information